WELCOME!

Welcome to Le Beau Paon Victorien! I'm so glad you stopped by!

Here you will find a variety of things that might interest you: food, books, house decor, crafty things, random thoughts, dishes, gardening and more!

Spend some time with us and happy reading!





Friday, December 3, 2010

Show & Tell Friday: Christmas Greenery

There are so many Christmas decor linky parties going on that I wish I had time to join them all! Today, at least, I'll be joining Cindy at My Romantic Home for Show and Tell Friday.

A few days ago, I posted some of my outdoor Christmas decorations that I put together for my front porch; namely some fresh greenery that I made into fancy garlands ( click HERE to view that post). I do have artificial garland that I use inside the house and I had thought of getting more for my outdoor decor, but last year I decided instead that I wanted to use fresh greenery because I thought it really was more "Victorian".

Fortunately for me, I live in Wisconsin and it gets cold here, so the fresh greenery holds up really well. Last year my fresh pine garland didn't start looking brown until almost February. I generally like to use a long needle conifer, like white pine, rather than a short needle, like fir or spruce, because the long needles on the white pine don't seem to "shed" like the short needles.

I knew I'd have some leftover garland after finishing up the front porch, so this is what I did with it.
I made another garland to go over the French doors that open from the parlour to the front hall! I noticed after the picture that it looks slightly lopsided, so I'll have to fix that.

The central part of the garland; like the one on the front porch, I added some Carolina Sapphire Blue, variegated cedar and red huckleberry branches to it and also some faux berries in red and white. Then I added a wired bow in a lovely green paisley pattern.
A few more boughs of white pine and cedar, along with ribbon and red berries, adorn a couple of the large pictures that hang in the parlour.
Martha still looks pretty grim, even decorated for Christmas!

The last of the greenery I put on the entry hall fireplace mantel, with some pine cones. I haven't actually finished decorating this mantel; it's still a work in progress.


Sorry for the blurriness on this picture. I think my camera is starting to get "elderly", even though it's only 5 years old. I've been having difficulties with it lately when I zoom in on things. I literally retook this picture six times and this was the least blurry one. Hmmmmm. Maybe Santa will have to bring me a new camera!


Thanks for stopping by! Later today the big Victorian tree will be going up in the parlour ( I need Erik's help to get that one put up, it's so tall and heavy!)

8 comments:

Marty@A Stroll Thru Life said...

Oh it is all stunning. Love the garland over the french doors, so pretty. Using some on the pictures is also a great touch. The mantel is stunning. I look forward to seeing more. Hugs, Marty

victorian parlor II said...

Katie,

It's all so beautiful! I would like to use fresh garland but we live in SC and with the warm tempertures it doesn't last long at all. Your Victorian home is looking so festive I can't wait to see the rest!

Blessings,

Kim

Tanya said...

Ah, Katie - I think I've told you before that I wish I could be you...even for just a day. The house and all the greenery is just STUNNING - and I think Martha rather likes the green - I think I detect a faint hint of a smile. Have a wonderful weekend...Tanya

The Blackwood Cottage said...

Beautiful, I love decking the halls with evergreen. Eye candy!
machelle

Unknown said...

Everything is beautiful! And I love your music! Just love classical, very relaxing.
You have really decked the halls!
Pattie

Mariette VandenMunckhof-Vedder said...

Dearest Katie,

Those garlands are beautiful; don't worry too much about a little bit lopsided...

Have a great weekend!

Mariette's Back to Basics

Pam Kessler said...

It's all very pretty. Except for Martha. Maybe she needs a Santa hat photoshopped on her. I bet it smells wonderful in the house.

Bella's Rose Cottage said...

Hi Katie, Love your greens!! I have a simple strand of cedar for the front door, now I am going to have to find some better bits to dress it up! ... here in the evergreen state, you only see cedar... Great post!!
Bella