WELCOME!

Welcome to Le Beau Paon Victorien! I'm so glad you stopped by!

Here you will find a variety of things that might interest you: food, books, house decor, crafty things, random thoughts, dishes, gardening and more!

Spend some time with us and happy reading!





Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Outdoor Wednesday: A Little Garden in Which to Walk...

"A little garden in which to walk, and immensity in which to dream. At one's feet that which can be cultivated and plucked; overhead that which one can study and meditate upon: some herbs on earth and all the stars in the sky."----Victor Hugo (1802-1885)
My coneflowers, monarda, gaillardia, salvia and campanula are still going strong, and will be blooming until autumn...but right now the show-stoppers of the perennial garden is my tall phlox. I have pink, purple and white varieties.

The white ones always bloom before the pink, but I usually do get a second blooming. In this picture the white is starting it's second flush of blooms.
Pink and green coleus carries through with my pink and green color scheme.
For added contrast and a punch of color, I planted dark red celosia in the beds that line the front walk.
Elsewhere in the garden, my hostas are blooming also, sending up shoots of delicate white flowers.
These hosta varieties are called "Frances Williams", "Gold Standard" and "So Sweet".  I also have two new small guys who were added to the hosta bed this year.
Here's one of them; even though he's small and new, he put up two of his own flowers. This hosta variety is called "Twilight".
To add some color and vertical interest to the hosta garden, a pot of red New Guinea impatiens and "Merlin's Magic" coleus sits on a small stand in the hosta bed.
In the back yard, white geraniums that I over-wintered are blooming, along with white euphorbia.

Thanks for taking a walk with me in the garden....

I'll be joining Susan at A Southern Daydreamer for Outdoor Wednesday!

6 comments:

Bella's Rose Cottage said...

Hi Katie, thanks for the tour! Don't you love seeing other peoples gardens? I love the phlox... a big favorite of mine... such a long blooming season! You have a great assortment of hosta too:-)
Bella

Mariette VandenMunckhof-Vedder said...

Dearest Katie,

That was quite a tour and most importantly, you had something to show! Impressive to read all the correct names; that speaks for you! We do have the Hosta Aphrodite blooming and also the varieties you mention. With Plox we're not that lucky as you; the hot weather kills them so we gave up on a lot of perennials. Sad but a fact.
Sunny greetings from Georgia/USA

MariettesBacktoBasics

Linda said...

Wow, my phlox doesn't get near that tall...I must have a dwarf variety. Your gardens are beautiful...I love hostas too and have them where ever there is shade. Thanks for the garden tour:)

Pam Kessler said...

Ok, now I'm really going to have to get some phlox. I'm in a slow flower time in my garden and that would give it the punch it needs right now. I think I like the purple variety best.

Julio Muao said...

Hi Katie!

Thanks for the tour and the education. I love the hosta varieties. Thanks for the inspiration.

Alicia ~ time worn style said...

Love the phlox, I must get some for my own garden
alicia