WELCOME!

Welcome to Le Beau Paon Victorien! I'm so glad you stopped by!

Here you will find a variety of things that might interest you: food, books, house decor, crafty things, random thoughts, dishes, gardening and more!

Spend some time with us and happy reading!





Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Outdoor Wednesday: Flower Power Part 2

We've had some unusually warm weather here in Wisconsin this last week; or should I say unusually hot weather. It's been in the high 80s all week and very humid. We don't usually see these temps until July and August!
We also had a very warm and early spring, which would account for why all my flowers are about 2-3 weeks ahead of schedule blooming this year. I came home from work today to discover that during the day while I was gone, there was a flower explosion in my yard. I was frankly astonished!
And even though I'm a little late getting this posted, I am going to link up with Susan at A Southern Daydreamer for her Outdoor Wednesday!

I used this picture earlier this week for Mosaic Monday; it's one of  my white double peonies. This peony has blooms that are almost the size of dinner plates!
These pink peonies usually bloom right after the white ones are getting to be done; this is the first year since they were transplanted that I have blooms. I transplanted both the white and pink from my mother's house two years ago. It takes several years for peonies to get "going" after planting or transplanting divided tubers.
One of my climbing rosebushes has blooms starting to open. Pretty soon this bush will be covered.
I think this is a William Baffin rose. It is massively large and has evidently been here for many years. We need to add more trellis for it to climb, since it has run out of room.
My foxgloves are getting ready to bloom very soon. I'm excited. I've had trouble with my foxglove plants not surviving through our harsh winters, even though they are supposed to be hardy enough for our zone. These, however, made it!
I love the contrast of the Maiden Pinks against the bright green of my Lady's Mantle. These usually bloom at the same time and make a lovely display.
I have more Maiden Pinks and Lady's Mantle in another flower bed nearby.
These are near some Heuchera, which are named "Plum Pudding". I have several of these and another one called "Creme Brulee", but that one ,for some reason, is not looking too good this year.
My annuals planted in containers are looking nice.
I also planted some fuschia in this pot on the porch. This year I went with some very bright colors in my containers. Last year, I had a 'color scheme' going and had mostly yellow, green and purple flowers in all my pots.
My Adirondack chairs, made for me by my dad, got a fresh coat of paint last weekend. I also painted the small table which was also made by my dad some years ago. I had left it au natural and let the cedar wood age and color naturally, but I decided to paint it this year to match my chairs. The bushes behind these are weigela. There are three of them and they were here when we bought the house. I forgot to prune these this spring; there's always a fair amount of dead branches after every winter, which I chop off with big giant shears. We are hoping to begin some of the landscaping of the back yard next summer; this is where we want to put a patio. I'm not sure how we're going to be able to move these huge weigelas!
I 'm really loving this color combination!
I planted this pot right after Mother's Day; the earliest I ever planted annuals in my life!
I have this border of Asiatic Lilies along the front of my "sun garden". These were called "Red Storm". My sun garden is comprised of bold, bright colors; reds, oranges and purples.
There's one orange lily in the bunch. They must have accidentally packed an orange bulb in with the reds at the nursery!

Thanks for joining me!

2 comments:

Bella's Rose Cottage said...

Hi Katie...
You sure did have had an explosion!! Everything is so gorgeous!
Now it's me thats jealous, we are 55 degrees and rainy (a little hail mixed in) and windy, NASTY! It's like March weather here!
You have a fabulous assortment of flowers... the Pinks are gonna pop by the Ladies Mantle!
Enjoy your dreamy weather!
Bella

Johanna Gehrlein said...

Katie, it is so nice to see your pretty flowers. Those peonies are really impressive. And I love your rose, that looks so nice. You have plenty of nice flowers in the garden.
Greetings, Johanna