WELCOME!

Welcome to Le Beau Paon Victorien! I'm so glad you stopped by!

Here you will find a variety of things that might interest you: food, books, house decor, crafty things, random thoughts, dishes, gardening and more!

Spend some time with us and happy reading!





Thursday, June 17, 2010

Colorful Containers and New Outdoor Pillows

I took advantage of the nice weather to sit outside for awhile after work and soak up some sun, have a glass of lemonade (and watch hubby Erik mow the grass! Ha ha...)
Don't worry.....he mowed, but I helped him rake up the grass clippings.
I sat in one of our Adirondack chairs, resting my back against this sweet outdoor pillow.



I made these pillows myself. I bought some heavy outdoor canvas fabric from JoAnn's in this pretty hydrangea pattern. The fabric looks really blue in the sun, but it's more like a purplish-blue or pale violet. I used regular pillow inserts, some smaller 14x14 pillows I already had. 

 I sewed them on my sewing machine, leaving a small opening to stuff the pillow in, then stitched the opening closed with an invisible stitch. Technically, the outdoor fabric is not waterproof and this area is not covered, so I wouldn't leave them out in the rain. This area is where we are planning on making a patio, hopefully this summer or next, so it will eventually be all torn up. I can hardly wait!

Elsewhere in my garden...................

Purple astilbe


                                                              Pink astilbe

Lace-cap hydrangea. This variety is called Twist n' Shout.


Hydrangea macrophylla, Endless Summer. These are usually blue, but I must not have added enough aluminum sulfate this spring to make them blue!
I like to have lots of containers of colorful annuals. I usually attempt to over-winter my containers. I have two pots like this which I over-wintered. I added the pink double impatiens and the coleus this year, but the sweet potato vine and ivy were from last year and did well over the winter. I have a sunny south-facing bedroom upstairs that we don't use where I can keep my containers.
This is a new pot I did this year; red New Guinea impatiens and 'Merlin's Magic' coleus. I put this pot in my shade garden by my hostas on a small stand to add "vertical interest" .

I hope you enjoyed your day and evening as much as me!
Thanks for stopping by!

1 comment:

Lynn-Teacupstitches said...

Hi Katie!
Your pretty pillows are the perfect finishing touch to your inviting patio!!
And I am so in awe of your green thumb! Such gorgeous blooms!!
My own garden of weeden is looking a little peaked this year - TOO MUCH RAIN!!
Hugs and Smiles,
Lynn